Thursday, March 12, 2009

A Meal to Remember

Not many people in this industry are excited to find out that they would be getting at closing time. Most are frustrated if any new customers come in within half an hour of closing time. I generally don't mind at all, after all, why turn down the business, especially in times like these!

Well, this happened to me the other night. I was closing up the kitchen, wrapping up my station, cleaning coolers, we hadn't had a table since about 9:15 p.m. and we close at 10:00 p.m. At about 9:50 my server, let's call him Ollie, came into the kitchen and told me I had a call in the dining room. I went to the phone and found that it was someone I had prepared food for several times in the past. She wanted to call and make sure that it was o.k. for her to come in with two very special friends of hers that she' d like me to prepare food for. Of course I agreed, with the permission of my dining room manager.

Now, I will not say in this post that I cooked for them. I did not cook for them. You see, these friends of mine run with a small crowd. They are raw foodists. Vegans specifically. Yep, that means that they only eat raw fruits and veggies. Nothing heated above 118 degrees.

I don't get to stretch my legs in the raw food world that often but when I do, I really enjoy it. So, without any further ado, here is the meal I had 10 minutes to plan.

Course 1
Massaged Salad
Thinly shaved fennel and granny smith apples, skin on. Marinated in Mirin with a touch of sesame oil.

Course 2
Eggplant scallopine
Ponzu cured eggplant rounds with alternating rounds of arugula and sweet red pepper salad. Dressed with a honey, cider vinegar and chili vinaigrette. Side garnish of valencia orange supreme with chili and lime.


Course 3
Pasta Marinara
Fresh cut zuchhini as the noodles smoothered in a raw marinara made from sundried tomatoes and fresh garlic.

I wish I had a camera with me that night to take pictures, the dishes were beautiful and fresh. Every thing was plated beautifully and simpley not to complicated.

Hope you all enjoy this, and let me know if you have any raw food adventures.

Eat Well,

J.G.
http://jgfood.blogspot.com/2014/02/jessie-great.html
 
http://www.pinterest.com/jgpantry/ http://twitter.com/chefjessie    https://www.facebook.com/Chef-Jessie-992430040904551/





2 comments:

vicki said...

leave it to Jesse to pull it off. congrats! I, too , wish you had a camera. It sounds lovely.

Ben and Barb said...

I wish I had a napkin to catch the drool. That sounds absolutely delicious and I am sorry that I missed it!! Mom's right leave it to you to pull it off!!

Fun with food