Friday, January 28, 2011

The World of Preparedness

It's hard to know what's around the bend. Well, actually, it's impossible for us as mere mortals. Which is why being prepared is such a tremendous tool. Preparing in all the ways that it is possible to prepare is best, but sometimes we only know a few ways we might prepare. Preparing by having a pantry stash, water storage, and long-term food storage are all ways to prepare to be able to live without an income. Additionally, putting money aside for emergencies is a tremendous resouce. My wife's church recommends building toward a three-month supply of food and money as a first step in preparing for the unforeseeable. In reflection, I can see that if we had been able to prepare with both of these tools, we would have had sufficient for our needs in each of the experiences with joblessness that we have, as yet, endured. Even though three months would be best, we may only be able to do far less, because of our circumstances. But doing a little bit can help a lot.

I was let go from my full-time position as Executive Chef and took a demotion to line cook at the same establishment. Why was I let go? Because my boss decided I wasn't doing enough. I was doing more than my employees told me he ever did when filling my job, but it was still not enough for the boss. Because I am the provider for my family and did not have a backup job, I took the demotion. That was uncomfortable for me only with my boss. My former employees, who were then my co-workers were great. Were? Yes, I was finally let go in the middle of November because I refused to break Labor Law by working without pay. Fired for doing the right thing. And such is life sometimes. Even when we're doing the right thing, bad things can and do happen. Thus, being prepared is so very valuable and important.

A number of circumstances led up to my family having a slight savings accrued, which enabled us to be prepared financially in a way that we'd not been able to do previously. Compared to experiences with joblessness we've endured before, having some financial cushion made a tremendous difference. During the days (just short of a month) that I was completely unemployed, we were far more at ease and at peace about the whole situation than we'd ever experienced before. Of course, that probably has a great deal to do with the other way in which we were much more prepared. But the financial cushion definitely played a large part.

I have now been employed for just over a month at a private location and enjoy my work. I am also very hopeful that it may become THE work resource that my family needs for a period of time. Even though I am working full-time, I am underemployed because of the hourly rate. Had we had the three month supply of both food and financial resources, we would have been compeltely able to sustain ourselves without any assistance. The reality is often different than the intention, as is the case for us. The experience of this trial and difficulty is good because it enables me to have a clear, very clear, goal in mind to make our future more stable and sound.

And all this prepraration is our goal so that I can make sure my family and I will be able to do what I encourage all to do:

Eat Well,
J.G.
http://jgfood.blogspot.com/2014/02/jessie-great.html
 
http://www.pinterest.com/jgpantry/ http://twitter.com/chefjessie    https://www.facebook.com/Chef-Jessie-992430040904551/





No comments:

Fun with food