Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Here, take my clogs

Just try them on.
"It must be so much fun to be a chef!" I hear this comment a lot. I also get the question "so what is your favorite food to make?" Both of these are honest comments from the community thanks in part to the Food Network. I'll do my best to sum up my life experience as a chef, and address both of the previous comments.

"It must be so much fun to be a chef!" Well, that really depends on your idea of fun doesn't it? To most the life of a chef is a very romantic idea, making gourmet food, talking to your customers, creating your own awe inspiring recipes for others to enjoy. Don't get me wrong, all these things do happen, just not as often as you think. This isn't everyday stuff.

Everyday stuff, that's what being a chef is really all about. Long hours in the kitchen. Doing the same thing every single day. Teaching the same people the same thing everyday to make sure your food is consistent. Trying not to get overly frustrated with the wait staff for really simple mistakes every day. Keeping your menu affordable, but pricing it so you make a profit. Keeping your cost of labor down. Standing in really hot areas for long periods of time, you have to enjoy sweating.

People that aren't in the industry often comment to me about what I eat. " You must get to eat some really great food!" or "I bet you eat a lot of steak and shrimp!" Actually, no. Now, if we do get in a new steak product or try a different supplier, then certainly we will try the product to make sure it is good. But after that, we really don't eat a lot of steak or seafood. These things cost money. My meals in the kitchen usually revolve around a bowl of soup, a really great caesar salad, or some really simple sandwich or wrap. Other than that I peck at fries and chicken fingers from the fry station, or nibble on veggies from the pantry station. That's about it. Ohh, and lots and lots of water and the occasional sweet tea.

When I eat in the kitchen, it's more of a maintenance thing than it is an enjoyment thing. This isn't to say that I don't enjoy what I eat. It's just that I simply can't afford the time at work to make myself a really great meal, it's much easier to eat a quick salad and keep on truckin.
Everybody loves the holidays right? Well, as a chef, I don't get these days at home with my family. I'm in the kitchen making dinner for hundreds of other families. My family and I have a tradition regarding our holidays. We celebrate our holidays on the next day off I have after the major holiday. It's just as special to us, just a little different.

Supporting my family as a chef has proved to be the hardest part. Working two jobs isn't terribly draining on me, it just sucks not having a lot of time with my wife and kids. I'm on the lookout, as most chefs are, for the "big job". The job that I can get that actually pays an honest wage, a wage that compensates me for what I'm worth. This is why chefs move between jobs alot, they're just trying to get by.

Please don't think I'm complaining, I'm just getting some things clear. After all is said and done. I love my career. I really am happiest doing what I'm doing and can't see myself doing anything else.

Eat Well,
J.G.

No comments:

Fun with food